Best Kali Linux Books
Best Kali linux book You Must Read to be a Hacker
Kali Linux is an extremely advanced pentesting platform designed for hackers and security experts to make their task easier. For a beginner it might be little difficult to grasp it because of lack of proper guide and training, but you can easily learn from books available online. I have mentioned few best Kali Linux Books, eBooks and PDFs for beginners as well as experts.
Kali is very popular among hackers because of its environment, it has hundreds of hacking, pentesting and forensics tools which allows us to gather information, find vulnerabilities and create exploits. It can be used as destroyer as well as creator, that depends on you, but to perform such awesome actions one needs to have great hacking and pentesting skills.
To become an expert hacker you must strive to improve your pentesting skills with Kali by learning new things daily and believe me books has the potential to make you master despite being a newbie. All you need is basic programming knowledge.
Basic Security Testing with Kali Linux 2
This is the perfect book for beginners to get started because it teaches you from starting points like Introduction & Overview, and later on covering topics such as Metasploit, Exploiting Windows & Linux systems, Social Engineering, Password attacks etc. The author has explained in simple words with images which makes it easier to understand even for a layman. The primary concern of this book is pentesting for security. It focuses more on How an attacker can find and exploit weakness in system, For e.g. How to discover vulnerability in system, which can be exploited by a malicious hacker, and this is the most essential skill.
Kali Linux 2 (2016) is an Ethical Hacking platform that allows good guys to use the same tools and techniques that a hacker would use, so they can find security issues before the bad guys do.
In Basic Security Testing with Kali Linux 2, you will learn basic examples of how hackers find out information about your company, find weaknesses in your security and how they gain access to your system.
Completely updated for 2016, this step-by-step guide covers:
- Kali Linux Introduction and Overview
- Shodan (the “Hacker’s Google”)
- Metasploit Tutorials
- Exploiting Windows and Linux Systems
- Escalating Privileges in Windows
- Cracking Passwords and Obtaining Clear Text Passwords
- Wi-Fi Attacks
- Kali on a Raspberry Pi
- Securing your Network
- And Much More!
Though no computer can be completely “Hacker Proof” knowing how an attacker works will help put you on the right track of better securing your network!
Mastering Kali Linux for Advanced Penetration Testing
This is for those who wants to become master because it covers series of chapters from basic to advance. The initial part wraps us common security testing methods and the middle section focuses on exploitation and post-exploitation methods. It also represent bypassing physical security, social engineering, web services and attacking network direct end user. The reader will also learn about network exploit and security. It follows a hacker methodology with all practical knowledge needed to test your security. If you’re a beginner into IT Security field or appearing for any pentesting exam and you want to learn from beginning till end, then its for you.
A practical guide to testing your network’s security with Kali Linux – the preferred choice of penetration testers and hackers
About This Book
- Conduct realistic and effective security tests on your network
- Demonstrate how key data systems are stealthily exploited, and learn how to identify attacks against your own systems
- Use hands-on techniques to take advantage of Kali Linux, the open source framework of security tools
Who This Book Is For
If you are an IT professional or a security consultant who wants to maximize the success of your network testing using some of the advanced features of Kali Linux, then this book is for you. This book will teach you how to become an expert in the pre-engagement, management, and documentation of penetration testing by building on your understanding of Kali Linux and wireless concepts.
What You Will Learn
- Employ the methods used by real hackers effectively, to ensure the most effective penetration testing of your network
- Select and configure the most effective tools from Kali Linux to test network security
- Employ stealth to avoid detection in the network being tested
- Recognize when stealthy attacks are being used against your network
- Exploit networks and data systems using wired and wireless networks as well as web services
- Identify and download valuable data from target systems
- Maintain access to compromised systems
- Use social engineering to compromise the weakest part of the network—the end users
Mastering Kali Linux for Advanced Penetration Testing will teach you the kill chain perspective in assessing network security—from selecting the most effective tools, to rapidly compromising network security, to highlighting the techniques used to avoid detection.
This book will take you, as a tester, through the reconnaissance, exploitation, and post-exploitation activities used by penetration testers and hackers. After learning the hands-on techniques to perform an effective and covert attack, specific routes to the target will be examined, including bypassing physical security. You will also get to grips with concepts such as social engineering, attacking wireless networks, web services, and remote access connections. Finally, you will focus on the most vulnerable part of the network—directly attacking the end user.
This book will provide all the practical knowledge needed to test your network’s security using a proven hacker’s methodology.
Kali Linux: Wireless Penetration Testing Beginner’s Guide
Do you want to hack your neighbour’s Wi-Fi password but don’t know How to? Well this book is dedicated to Wireless hacking & pentesting for freshers. It will teach you How to create WLAN Lab and experiment pentesting like bypassing WLAN Authentication, Encryption flaws and Attack clients, with in-depth tutorial. It follows pentester’s methodology and focuses on advance Wireless attacks from Sniffing to Capturing WPA-2 keys. It also explores ins and outs of wireless technologies which is a very exciting part indeed.
- Learn wireless penetration testing with Kali Linux, the latest iteration of Backtrack
- Detect hidden wireless networks and discover their names
- Explore advanced Wi-Fi hacking techniques including rogue access point hosting and probe sniffing
- Develop your encryption cracking skills and gain an insight into the methods used by attackers and the underlying technologies that facilitate these attacks
As wireless networks become ubiquitous in our lives, wireless penetration testing has become a key skill in the repertoire of the professional penetration tester. The Kali Linux security distribution comes with a myriad of tools used for networking attacks and detecting security loopholes.
Kali Linux Wireless Penetration Testing Beginner’s Guide presents wireless pentesting from the ground up, introducing all elements of penetration testing with each new technology. Learn various wireless testing methodologies by example, from the basics of wireless routing and encryption through to detailed coverage of hacking methods and attacks such as the Hirte and Caffe Latte.
What you will learn
- Create a wireless lab for your experiments
- Sniff out wireless packets and hidden networks
- Capture and crack WPA-2 keys
- Discover hidden SSIDs
- Explore the ins and outs of wireless technologies
- Sniff probe requests and track users through SSID history
- Attack radius authentication systems
- Sniff wireless traffic and collect interesting data
- Decrypt encrypted traffic with stolen keys
About the Authors
Vivek Ramachandran has been working in Wireless Security since 2003. He discovered the Caffe Latte attack and also broke WEP Cloaking, a WEP protection schema, publicly in 2007 at DEF CON. In 2011, he was the first to demonstrate how malware could use Wi-Fi to create backdoors, worms, and even botnets. Earlier, he was one of the programmers of the 802.1x protocol and Port Security in Cisco’s 6500 Catalyst series of switches and was also one of the winners of the Microsoft Security Shootout contest held in India among a reported 65,000 participants. He is best known in the hacker community as the founder of SecurityTube.net, where he routinely posts videos on Wi-Fi Security and exploitation techniques.
Cameron Buchanan is an experienced penetration tester, having worked in a huge range of industries. He is also the author of Packt’s Kali Linux CTF Blueprints.
Table of Contents
- Wireless Lab Setup
- WLAN and its Inherent Insecurities
- Bypassing WLAN Authentication
- WLAN Encryption Flaws
- Attacks on the WLAN Infrastructure
- Attacking the Client
- Advanced WLAN Attacks
- Attacking WPA-Enterprise and Radius
- WLAN Penetration Testing Methodology
- WPS and Probes
Web Penetration Testing with Kali Linux
Web also known as INTERNET is another major part of today’s technology, and with this level of advancement security and privacy concern rises. This book is completely dedicated to Web pentesting covering wide range of lessons on SQL Injection, XSS, Exploiting server flaws, Authentication & Hijacking techniques etc. It teaches you How to find vulnerabilities in Web-Apps and Site using the most effective tools available for Web Penetration Testers. Apart from testing it also educates its reader on securing Web and its components, like patching flaws and preventing malicious exploitation.
Build your defense against web attacks with Kali Linux 2.0
About This Book
- Gain a deep understanding of the flaws in web applications and exploit them in a practical manner
- Get hands-on web application hacking experience with a range of tools in Kali Linux 2.0
- Develop the practical skills required to master multiple tools in the Kali Linux 2.0 toolkit
Who This Book Is For
If you are already working as a network penetration tester and want to expand your knowledge of web application hacking, then this book tailored for you. Those who are interested in learning more about the Kali Sana tools that are used to test web applications will find this book a thoroughly useful and interesting guide.
What You Will Learn
- Set up your lab with Kali Linux 2.0
- Identify the difference between hacking a web application and network hacking
- Understand the different techniques used to identify the flavor of web applications
- Expose vulnerabilities present in web servers and their applications using server-side attacks
- Use SQL and cross-site scripting (XSS) attacks
- Check for XSS flaws using the burp suite proxy
- Find out about the mitigation techniques used to negate the effects of the Injection and Blind SQL attacks
Kali Linux 2.0 is the new generation of the industry-leading BackTrack Linux penetration testing and security auditing Linux distribution. It contains several hundred tools aimed at various information security tasks such as penetration testing, forensics, and reverse engineering.
At the beginning of the book, you will be introduced to the concepts of hacking and penetration testing and will get to know about the tools used in Kali Linux 2.0 that relate to web application hacking. Then, you will gain a deep understanding of SQL and command injection flaws and ways to exploit the flaws. Moving on, you will get to know more about scripting and input validation flaws, AJAX, and the security issues related to AJAX.
At the end of the book, you will use an automated technique called fuzzing to be able to identify flaws in a web application. Finally, you will understand the web application vulnerabilities and the ways in which they can be exploited using the tools in Kali Linux 2.0.
Style and approach
This step-by-step guide covers each topic with detailed practical examples. Every concept is explained with the help of illustrations using the tools available in Kali Linux 2.0.
Which book is best for you?
It’s normal to get confused while choosing the most appropriate book for yourself because you may not have the slightest of idea which could be most useful for you. In my advice first of all you must recognize your interest and buy according to your status (Newbie, Intermediate or Expert), for instance if you’re interested in Wireless hacking but you’re a fresher, then you should go third one.
In case if you are already aware of basics you can go for medium level books.
Intermediate Security Testing with Kali Linux 2
With computer hacking attacks making headline news on a frequent occasion, learning ethical hacking has become a priority for those tasked with defending their networks. But in the sea of training material it is hard to find effectual training using the latest tools and techniques. In “Intermediate Security Testing with Kali Linux 2”, you will learn how hackers find out information about your systems, locate weaknesses in your security and how they gain access to your devices.
This hands-on, step by step learning book doesn’t dwell on the theory of security, but instead walks you through implementing and using the latest security tools that are included in the most popular computer security testing platform, Kali Linux 2.
This book takes off were my first Basic book ends, showing you what has changed in the latest version of Kali Linux. We then cover putting together a penetration testing lab using Windows and Linux based systems.
Next we cover in-depth ways to use Metasploit, by seeing the latest techniques to create backdoor shells and bypassing anti-virus. We also cover automating Metasploit, including scripting based attacks using both Railgun and PowerShell.
In the web application section we cover many of the tools and techniques used against websites. Over 30 tools are covered ranging from scanning to exploiting, including the ever popular BurpSuite.
In the Attacking Smart Devices section we will see how to create virtual phones or tablets, getting remote shells on Android devices and how Wi-Fi and Man-in-The Middle attacks work against smart devices.
Lastly, the book has an entire section of using computer security tools for forensics, an Internet of Things section and an entire chapter devoted to defending your systems.
Hacking with Kali: Practical Penetration Testing Techniques 1st Edition
Hacking with Kali introduces you the most current distribution of the de facto standard tool for Linux pen testing. Starting with use of the Kali live CD and progressing through installation on hard drives, thumb drives and SD cards, author James Broad walks you through creating a custom version of the Kali live distribution. You’ll learn how to configure networking components, storage devices and system services such as DHCP and web services.
Once you’re familiar with the basic components of the software, you’ll learn how to use Kali through the phases of the penetration testing lifecycle; one major tool from each phase is explained. The book culminates with a chapter on reporting that will provide examples of documents used prior to, during and after the pen test.
This guide will benefit information security professionals of all levels, hackers, systems administrators, network administrators, and beginning and intermediate professional pen testers, as well as students majoring in information security.
- Provides detailed explanations of the complete penetration testing lifecycle
- Complete linkage of the Kali information, resources and distribution downloads
- Hands-on exercises reinforce topics
I’m myself very fond of InfoSec professionalism, sometimes people refer it as an expert level.
Kali Linux: Assuring Security By Penetration Testing
Master the art of penetration testing with Kali Linux
About This Book
- Learn penetration testing techniques with an in-depth coverage of Kali Linux distribution
- Explore the insights and importance of testing your corporate network systems before the hackers strike
- Understand the practical spectrum of security tools by their exemplary usage, configuration, and benefits
For Who Is This Book
If you are an IT security professional who has a basic knowledge of Unix/Linux operating systems, including an awareness of information security factors, and want to use Kali Linux for penetration testing, this book is for you.
What Will You Learn
- Develop the Kali Linux environment in your test lab by installing, configuring, running, and updating its core system components
- Perform a formal Kali Linux testing methodology
- Scope your target with definitive test requirements, limitations, business objectives, and schedule the test plan
- Exercise a number of security tools from Kali Linux, logically divided into subcategories of testing methodology
- Practice the processes of reconnaissance, discovery, enumeration, vulnerability mapping, social engineering, exploitation, privilege escalation, and maintaining access to target for evaluation purposes
- Document, report, and present your verified test results to the relevant authorities in a formal reporting structure
Kali Linux is a comprehensive penetration testing platform with advanced tools to identify, detect, and exploit the vulnerabilities uncovered in the target network environment. With Kali Linux, you can apply appropriate testing methodology with defined business objectives and a scheduled test plan, resulting in a successful penetration testing project engagement.
Kali Linux– Assuring Security by Penetration Testing is a fully focused, structured book providing guidance on developing practical penetration testing skills by demonstrating cutting-edge hacker tools and techniques with a coherent, step-by-step approach. This book offers you all of the essential lab preparation and testing procedures that reflect real-world attack scenarios from a business perspective, in today’s digital age.
Kali Linux Network Scanning Cookbook
Over 90 hands-on recipes explaining how to leverage custom scripts and integrated tools in Kali Linux to effectively master network scanning
About This Book
- Learn the fundamentals behind commonly used scanning techniques
- Deploy powerful scanning tools that are integrated into the Kali Linux testing platform
- A step-by-step guide, full of recipes that will help you use integrated scanning tools in Kali Linux, and develop custom scripts for making new and unique tools of your own
Who This Book Is For
“Kali Linux Network Scanning Cookbook” is intended for information security professionals and casual security enthusiasts alike. It will provide the foundational principles for the novice reader but will also introduce scripting techniques and in-depth analysis for the more advanced audience. Whether you are brand new to Kali Linux or a seasoned veteran, this book will aid in both understanding and ultimately mastering many of the most powerful and useful scanning techniques in the industry. It is assumed that the reader has some basic security testing experience.
What You Will Learn
- Develop a network-testing environment that can be used to test scanning tools and techniques
- Understand the underlying principles of network scanning technologies by building custom scripts and tools
- Perform comprehensive scans to identify listening on TCP and UDP sockets
- Examine remote services to identify type of service, vendor, and version
- Evaluate denial of service threats and develop an understanding of how common denial of service attacks are performed
- Identify distinct vulnerabilities in both web applications and remote services and understand the techniques that are used to exploit them
Kali Linux Network Scanning Cookbook will introduce you to critical scanning concepts. You will be shown techniques associated with a wide range of network scanning tasks that include discovery scanning, port scanning, service enumeration, operating system identification, vulnerability mapping, and validation of identified findings. You will learn how to utilize the arsenal of tools available in Kali Linux to conquer any network environment. You will also be shown how to identify remote services, how to assess security risks, and how various attacks are performed. This immersive guide will also encourage the creation of personally scripted tools and the development of skills required to create them.
Reading isn’t enough, Practice is necessary
It would be unwise to think that only reading is enough to become expert… NO! Training is vital. The more you practice the more you’ll gain experience and knowledge. Do not just read and memorize the tutorials instead understand it completely and then do it on your own in a Pentesting Lab which is safe and beginner friendly.